Friday, July 21, 2006

A Healing Shawl for Our Good Friend

Finished on July 4, 2006.



Finished dimensions (washed, not blocked) 84" x 27". Made with 1200 yds of Tess Designer Yarn's Brushed Mohair (78% Mohair, 13% Wool, 9% Nylon) 450 yds/8oz. I found c. 18 oz of this gorgeous yarn in String's (a most favority LYS) oddball bucket in various hanks and wound up balls. I recognized it immediately and happily grabbed it at a fraction of the original price.

My pattern is inspired by the simple yarn over details in "The Rebozo" in Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls: 25 Knitting Patters; Interweave, 2000. I began it in early March but life has interfered with my knitting time.

Because the yarn has subtle but very definite variagations from periwinkle to black, there was no need to alternate or add colors. Knit lengthwise, I cast on 275 sts on 10.5 bamboo circulars. Each short edge has a 4-stitch garter stitch border; in other words, I didn't take the yo's in the lace row to the very edge. Except for the lace row, everything is garter stitch. I began with 4 garter ridges (including cast on stitches) then knit the first lace row. The lace pattern is *k2tog, yo* (except for the aforementioned 4 stitches at each edge. The lace row is repeated 16 times in between 4 garter ridges, not including the garter ridge in the lace stitches. I ended with 4 garter ridges, including cast off stitches.



I'm happy to report that our friend. loves it. Even though her surgery was in March and her treatment finished a couple of months ago, she said this was a very good time to receive the love and comfort the shawl represented from The D.G.F. (a.k.a. D.B.) and me.

No comments: