Saturday, January 05, 2008

Favorite Washcloth Pattern



Eeek!!! I can't remember which knitting book this came from but I do have several photocopies I made. If anyone recognizes the pattern, please let me know so I can ascribe it properly. My notes say it came from a sock pattern book but the fabric doesn't seem right for socks.

After trying lacy and loose washcloths, I finally realized that because cotton stretches out when its wet, a firm fabric that has texture and is fairly thick makes the best washcloths.

Notes:
Pattern name: III.10 -- a slipped stitch pattern.
Special stitches: C4 (Cross 4) plus slipped stitches.
Pattern is knitted in multiples of 7 plus one.
Better not to have a garter border for this pattern.
Materials: various but at least one with an old skein that's been in the stash for at least 20 years. Bernat "Gloucester Sport", 100% cotton, 1.75 oz / 50 yards; #4 needles. This was finished in June, 2007. I've made several others, including one from a white mystery yarn -- probably acrylic or worse. The D.B. is happy to use it as a dishcloth.

No comments: