Wednesday, February 15, 2006

How much yarn for the hat ?

I used 1 2/3 skeins of Noro Silk Garden. {A hat I made with 16 repeats took the whole two skeins.) The pattern is based on one by Plymouth Yarn. I cast on 72 sts, using a provisional cast on. Knit on the bias, I inc. at the beginning of the row and dec. at end of the same row, every other row. I alternated stockingette with reverse stockingette every four rows to match the color changes in the yarns. I've found that the edge at which I dec. was wider that the one at which I inc. When the wider edge was 1" less than my head width I ended at the end of a ribbing sequence, not bindng off. I used the kitchener stitch to graft the long edges together. The narrow end had a little less give and I made that the top of the hat.

And, thank you for the nice comments.

No comments: